Appennine Colossus

Original name

Appennine Colossus

Geographic Area

Pratolino, Tuscany, Italy

Reference Project

-

Site description

The Vvedenskaya (that means “built in stone”) church in Kamgort village was built in 1915. There is a plaque on the temple, indicating the year 1874. It should be assumed that this is the year of construction of the wooden church with the same name. (Note from Deacon Anthony Skorlupin). It was built in a point that is clearly visible from different points of the village, and becomes a reference point for the orientation of the territory. The church has free sides, the main body of the church is organized according to the principle of the "quadruple octagon", and the other completes a slender octahedral bell tower. The main meaning of the tents is underlined by small domes placed at the corners of the temple cube, on the apse of the altar and by a small refectory. The construction of the temple was financed by Ivan Agafonovich Suslov (1838-1900). In the Vvedenskaya church, the ecclesiastical service of Fr. Nikolai Konyukhov, now counted among the new holy martyrs. The church was closed in the late 1920s and became a warehouse for the storage of agricultural products, which was left abandoned.

Credits

Promoted by
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement N° 821870

Coordinator
Sandro Parrinello

Partnership
UNIPV, University of Pavia
UPV, Universitat Polytècnica de València
PNRUPU, Perm National Research Polytechnic University
SIΣMA S.r.l.s,, Integrated systems for Architectural Monitoring
EBIME S.L., BIM consulting for Architecture and Engineering (SME)

Survey Activities

Laser Scanner
Raffaella De Marco, Alberto Pettineo

UAVs Photogrammetry
Francesca Picchio
Sandro Parrinello

Terrestrial Photogrammetry
Anna Dell'Amico

Photo
Anna Dell'Amico

Post production Activities

2D Drawings
Student of the course of Architectural Survey & Restoration a.a 2018-2019, Universiy of Pavia. Professors: Sandro Parrinello, Giovanni Minutoli Tutors: Anna Dell’Amico, Matteo Bigongiari

  • Gallery

Documentation Methodology

The church's documentation actions were carried out in 2018. A TLS laser scanner survey campaign was planned with FARO Focus S150 which produced 24 scans for the description of the internal and external environments of the building's factory. In parallel, a photogrammetric acquisition of the external facings and roofs was envisaged through UAVs remotely piloted systems which produced a model of 3207706 faces, and a photogrammetric acquisition with Nikon D7200 camera of the accessible interior rooms of the church.

Bibliography

Parrinello, S., Picchio, F., De Marco, R., Dell'Amico, A. (2019). Documenting the cultural heritage routes. The creation of informative models of historical russian churches on upper kama region. ISPRS - International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. XLII-2/W15. 887-894. ResearchGate

De Marco, R., Dell’Amico, A. (2020). Connettere il territorio tra patrimonio e informazione: banche dati e modelli per le Cultural Heritage Routes/Connecting the territory between Heritage and Information: databases and models for the Cultural Heritage Routes. In Arena A., Arena M., Brandolino R.G., Colistra D., Ginex G., Mediati D., Nucifora S., Raffa P. (a cura di). Connettere. Un disegno per annodare e tessere. Atti del 42° Convegno Internazionale dei Docenti delle Discipline della Rappresentazione/Connecting. Drawing for weaving relationships. Proceedings of the 42th International Conference of Representation Disciplines Teachers. 2058-2077. ResearchGate